2014 Yamaha Bolt
Pictures, review, specifications, Motorcycle Insurance information, accident lawyers.
Back to Basics... - A new trend is emerging in the motorcycle world, with a "back to basics" approach. Designers and custom builders are stepping back to a time when the mechanical beauty of a motorcycle was highlighted in its styling.
Introducing Bolt. Old school. New thinking. Minimalist style. Modern performance. From its slim, comact bobber-style design to its raw metal look and feel, it's everything you need. And nothing you don't.
2014 Yamaha Bolt Review
The Bot's simple styling, compact layout, V-Twin power and natural riding position combine to offer an incredibly fun riding experience.
Featuring the fuel injected, 4-valve, V-Star 950 engine, the Bolt utilizes an all new "less is more" design.
Simple and compact, with a low seat height, the Bolt offers light agile handling that instills rider confidence. A new breed of "crossover", the Bolt is an interesting blend of cruiser features in a chassis that offers a more natural, upright riding position than a traditional cruiser. A "raw metal" theme highlights the engine styling, while the teardrop tank and limited bodywork showcase the Bolt's simple mechanical beauty. Its torquey engine character and easy "ride ability" will keep you grinning long after the ride has ended.
The all-new Bolt; back to basics with forward technology for quick acceleration and maneuvering through the urban maze.
2014 Yamaha Bolt Key Features
Fuel Consumption ± 20kpl/57mpg(Imp)
Slim, compact chassis design
Simple, clean "less is more" styling
• The Bolt is stripped down and devoid of chrome parts and epitomizes the “Urban Performance Bobber” look. The compact chassis proudly showcases the 58 cubic inch (942cc), air-cooled, 60° V-twin sitting at the heart of the bike.
• The Bolt uses modern technology to create a riding experience superior to other similarly sized machines. Even fuel injection and ignition timing maps have been carefully chosen specifically for this bike to deliver class-leading performance with strong low- and mid-range torque sure to bring a smile to every rider’s face.
• The Bolt’s chassis design is entirely new. Components such as the 3.2 gallon fuel tank, belt drive, front and rear wheels, digital meter and steel fenders are new, creating a unique and fresh style.
• The slim body and low seat design combine to give the motorcycle light maneuverability and a stable handling feeling. The upright riding posture helps the rider feel the wind, hear the sounds, and experience the pulse of the machine.
• For riders who value personalization, the options for the Bolt are limited only by the owner’s imagination. As we say at Star motorcycles, “we build it, you make it your own.” And as the perfect canvas for customization, Bolt is the perfect example of that philosophy.
2014 Yamaha Bolt Features and Benefits
• 942cc, air-cooled, SOHC, 4-valves per cylinder, 60° V-twin engine produces outstanding low- and mid-range torque. Maximum torque is reached at only 3,000 rpm - for an exceptionally fun riding experience.
• One-piece cylinder heads feature 4-valves per cylinder to provide optimum volumetric or filling efficiency for maximum power output. The benefit of a 4-valve design is two smaller intake valves allow more air flow and a higher rpm limit than a single heavier larger valve.
• Pent roof type combustion design with optimized squish area forces the fuel / air mixture toward the centre of the combustion chamber (and the centrally located long reach spark plug) for faster, more complete combustion and hence improved power and reduced emissions.
• Cylinder heads feature brushed cooling fin highlights for a quality appearance.
• The SOHC valve train features 31.5mm intake and 28mm exhaust valves with single valve springs which reduce friction and power losses. Specially designed "Y" shaped roller rocker arms activate the valves. The roller rocker system utilizes needle bearings that "roll" directly on the cam lobes allowing the lift of 2 valves at the same time without producing excessive camshaft wear and friction.
• Auto adjusting cam chain tensioners are used to reduce mechanical engine noise and maintenance
• Lightweight, "liner-less" aluminium cylinders feature ceramic composite plating for superior heat dissipation for excellent cooling, less friction, reduced weight and longer engine life. Cylinder cooling fins feature brushed aluminum highlights.
• Single pin style crankshaft is used to enhance engine character and exhaust note.
• Lightweight forged aluminium pistons provide excellent durability while reducing reciprocating mass for fast throttle response.
• Wet sump oil delivery system features an easy access spin-on type oil filter and easy access drain plug. A traditional dipstick is used to check oil level.
• Classic side mounted, 2.3 litre air box houses an easy access, high-flow viscous paper-type filter. Its design highlights and compliments the V-twin engine appearance. The outer cover features brushed aluminum highlights.
• Dual bore, 35mm throttle body fuel injection system with TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and ISC (Idle Speed Control). This is a "closed loop" system that utilizes a heated oxygen sensor. The oxygen sensor feeds back info to the ECU which in turn adjusts the fuel/air mixture for maximum power with minimum emissions. The Idle Speed Control (ISC) maintains a steady idle during warm-up as well as once the engine has reached operating temperature.
• 4-hole, 2-directional spray, Denso fuel injectors are used for excellent fuel atomization and more complete combustion chamber filling. There is one injector per cylinder.
• Fuel injection benefits include; improved fuel economy, choke-less starting, reduced emissions, and smooth drive-ability. The Bolt has been tuned to provide a very "linear" throttle response for easy riding.
• Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (T.C.I.) provides a hot spark for sure starts and strong engine performance.
• Powerful 32 bit ECU controls the ignition and fuel injection process
• Multi-plate "outer pull type'" wet clutch is used. Lever pull is light and easy thanks to a special rubber damper system.
• 5-speed transmission features optimized gear ratios for excellent city and highway drivability. Transmission gears use "straight cut dogs" for smooth, positive shifting. 5th gear delivers outstanding cruising performance and reduced rpms at highway speed
• Adjustable gear shifter.
• Clean, quiet belt drive system is extremely low maintenance and simplifies customization. The 21mm wide belt utilizes carbon fibre cords for excellent strength and reduced stretching.
• Air Induction System (A.I.S.) reduces harmful CO and HC exhaust emissions.
• Stylish 2 into 1 exhaust system features a 3-way honeycomb-type catalyzer at the entry point of the muffler to reduce emissions. The rear header pipe "snakes" toward the front cylinder in order to provide the necessary tuned length, not to mention it is a key styling highlight too. The short design "dual stage type" muffler produces a low, throaty V-Twin exhaust note.
Chassis and Suspension:
Tube type, single backbone, double cradle steel frame offers a natural riding position, roomy ergonomics and a low seat height. This frame utilizes a 4-point rigid engine mounting system to optimize the overall rigidity balance for superior handling. The engine is mounted low in the chassis to provide a low center of gravity for a light, easy handling feel.
• Conventional tube-type, steel, short design swingarm compliments the frame and utilizes a dual shock suspension system.
• The Bolt features a low (690mm / 27.2") seat height. A very narrow design through the seat fuel - tank junction makes it even easier to place both feet flat on the ground, an important benefit for less experienced or shorter riders.
• The compact (1570mm / 61.8") wheelbase provides light, agile handling, for a fun riding experience.
• The Bolt is designed to be compact and slim, featuring clean, simple styling with the ability to easily personalize / customize the bike with a wide range of available accessories. The styling is "Star Original Bobber" with a modern twist. The design invokes a sense of dynamic forward motion and concentrated mass. The engine features "raw metal" styling highlights.
• 41mm front fork features plastic chip guards to protect fork tubes and seals. Wheel travel is 120mm (4.7") for a smooth, comfortable ride.
• Lightweight, forged aluminum upper triple clamp and forged steel lower triple clamp. The "pitch" between the fork tubes is 190mm or 7.5", which is well proportioned to 100/90 series front tire.
• Adjustable dual shock rear suspension. Rear wheel travel is 70mm (2.8"). The 5-positions of spring preload adjustment allows the rider to tailor spring preload to suit rider weight, load and road conditions.
• Single, 298mm front disc brake features a floating, wave-style rotor squeezed by a twin piston caliper for strong, confidence-inspiring stopping power. The wave-style design rotor offers more surface area than a conventional round disc for excellent heat dissipation.
• 298 mm rear disc brake is squeezed by single piston caliper mounted to the underside of the swingarm. This design not only helps to hide the caliper but also lowers the center of gravity for light handling.
• Conventional low rise handlebar offers an upright riding position for excellent rider comfort. The bar can be changed to a different design for easy customization.
• 12 litre teardrop shaped fuel tank compliments the slim, compact design of the Bolt. The piston-type fuel pump is externally located.
• Separate rider and passenger seats offer excellent comfort and style. The rider seat height is only 690mm or 27.2 inches off the ground. Both seats feature a dual texture design. The passenger seat can easily be removed if desired.
• Short design front and rear fenders are made of steel for easy customization and demonstrate the quality of build.
• All new, lightweight 12-spoke cast aluminium wheels are fitted tubeless tires. Front wheel is an MT2.50x19 fitted with a 100/90-19 bias tire, while the rear is an MT3.50x16 fitted with a 150/80x16 bias tire.
• New, LCD digital meter assembly features a speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeters, fuel reserve tripmeter (counts kilometres since low fuel warning light activated) and a clock. Warning lights include; low fuel, oil level and engine trouble. Right side handlebar switch gear allows the operator to "tab through" or re-set the main instrument functions via buttons thereby eliminating the need to take your hands off the bars.
• 60/55 watt halogen headlight with chrome bezel
• New, "vintage design" LED tail light features 19 LED's for excellent visibility. Chrome bezel adds another styling highlight.
• New design turn signals with clear lenses and black bodies. Automatic turn signal cancellation is standard equipment.
Industry-leading Star family fit and finish
• Extra wide front brake and clutch levers provide a quality feel.
• Upper & lower belt covers help prevent debris from entering the belt and pulley areas
• Locking fuel cap and locking tool kit cover
• Traditional style, fork mounted steering lock
• Low-maintenance, sealed battery
• Lean angle sensor will kill the engine if the bike has tipped over.
• Yamaha diagnostic service tool coupler
2014 Yamaha Bolt
US MSRP Price: MSRP $7,990 (Raven), $7,990 (Pearl White) USD
Type 58-cubic-inch (942cc) air cooled 4-stroke, V-Twin, SOHC, 4-valve
Bore x Stroke 85.0 x 83.0
Compression Ratio 9.0:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel Injected
Ignition TCI (Transistor Controlled Ignition)
Transmission 5-speed multiplate wet clutch
Final Drive Belt
Suspension Front Telescopic fork, 4.7-in travel
Suspension Rear Dual shocks, 2.8-in travel
Brakes Front Wave-type disc, 298mm
Brakes Rear Wave-type disc, 298mm
Tires Front 100/90-19M/C 57H tube type
Tires Rear 150/80-16M/C 71H tube type
Length 90.2 in
Width 37.2 in
Height 44.1 in
Seat Height 27.2 in
Wheelbase 61.8 in
Ground Clearance 5.1 in
Fuel Capacity 3.2 gal
Fuel Economy** TBA
Wet Weight*** 540 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
2014 Yamaha Bolt
Canada MSRP Price: $8,999 CDN
Engine Air-cooled, SOHC, 8-valves, 60 degree, V-twin
Bore and Stroke 85 x 83mm
Compression Ratio 9:1
Maximum Torque 8.2 kg-m (59.3 ft-lb) @ 3,000rpm
Fuel Delivery 35mm dual bore throttle body fuel injection
Estimated Fuel Consumption* 20 kpl / 57 mpg (imp.)
Lubrication Wet Sump
Ignition / Starting TCI / Electric
Transmission 5 speed
Final Drive Belt
Suspension (Front) 41mm fork
Suspension (Rear) Preload adjustable dual shocks
Brakes (Front) 298mm disc / twin piston caliper
Brakes (Rear) 298mm disc / single piston caliper
Tires (Front) 100/90 x 19
Tires (Rear) 150/80 x 16
Length 2,290mm (90.2")
Width 830mm (37.2")
Height 1,120mm (44.1)
Wheelbase 1,570mm (61.8")
Rake / Trail 29 degrees / 130mm (5.1")
Seat Height 690mm (27.2")
Fuel Capacity 12 litres (2.6 Imp. gal.)
Wet Weight 247kg (545 lb.)
Colour(s) Bluish White Cocktail
± Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.
Specifications, appearance, and price of product are subject to change without notice.
* MSRP does not include freight, PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), pre-rigging (boats), or taxes. Dealer may sell for less. See your local dealer for out the door pricing.
Motorcycle Insurance Information
Check Out a Typical Allstate Motorcycle Insurance PolicyInsurance PolicyInsurance Policy
We'll show what coverages may be available and how to get the personalized protection you need.
Even if you've been riding for years, it's a good idea to take a close look at your motorcycle insurance coverage. Things change, and chances are you've got a lot to look out for.
Explore features available from Allstate
Our motorcycle insurance coverage is packed with ways to help turn a really bad day around.
Allstate offers great coverage for gas-friendly scooters
For people who have turned to scooters for gas savings -- or just because they're fun -- you'll be happy to know that Allstate offers coverage for those, too. No matter the engine size, gas or electric, Allstate provides scooter insurance for most street-legal vehicles, offering the same great protection and discounts as our motorcycle coverage.
To get your free quote, call 1-877-379-BIKE (1-877-379-2453) today.